|"Smack in the Middle"|
Season 1, Episode 2
|Airdate||January 13th, 1966|
|Writer||Lorenzo Semple, Jr.|
|Starring||Adam West; Burt Ward; Alan Napier; Neil Hamilton; Stafford Repp; Madge Blake|
|Previous||"Hi Diddle Riddle"|
|Next||"Fine Feathered Finks"|
"Smack in the Middle" is the second episode of season one of the live-action superhero fantasy series Batman. The episode was directed by Robert Butler with a teleplay written by Lorenzo Semple, Jr. It was produced by William Dozier. The episode first aired on ABC on Wednesday, January 12th, 1966 at 7:30 pm. The series stars Adam West and Burt Ward as the caped crusaders Batman and Robin, who are also known by their civilian identities, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson. The series also stars Alan Napier as Bruce's trusty butler, Alfred, Neil Hamilton as Commissioner Gordon, Stafford Repp as Chief O'Hara and Madge Blake as Aunt Harriet Cooper.
Principal Cast Edit
|Adam West||Batman, Bruce Wayne|
|Burt Ward||Robin, Dick Grayson|
|Neil Hamilton||Commissioner Gordon|
|Stafford Repp||Chief O'Hara|
|Madge Blake||Aunt Harriet Cooper|
Guest Stars Edit
|Jill St. John||Molly|
|Frank Gorshin||The Riddler|
|Michael Fox||Inspector Basch |
|Damian O'Flynn||Gideon Peale |
|Ben Astar||The Moldavian Prime Minister|
|Jack Barry||Newscaster |
Uncredited Cast Edit
Note: The following is taken from the full credits list for this entry on IMDB. As it is a website with user-submitted information, some of the data listed here, including character names may be inaccurate.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- This is the second part of a two-part episode.
- This episode is included on disc one of the Batman: The Complete Television Series DVD boxset collection, as well as the Batman: The Complete Television Series Blu-ray collection.
- Actress Jill St. John is given a "Special Guest" credit in this episode.
- Actor Frank Gorshin, who plays the Riddler, is credited as the "Special Guest Villain" in this episode.
- Actor Michael Fox is credited in this episode, but actually only appeared in the previous episode, "Hi Diddle Riddle".
- Actor Damian O'Flynn is credited in this episode, but actually only appeared in the previous episode, "Hi Diddle Riddle".
- Actor Jack Barry is credited in this episode, but actually only appeared in the previous episode, "Hi Diddle Riddle".
- Second appearance of the Riddler. Although it appears as if the Riddler perishes in this episode, he will turn up time and time again to plague Batman.
- Final appearance of Molly; dies in this episode. This is one of those rare occasions when a character actually dies on the series.
- There are no allusions available for this episode at this time. Be the first to add some! Just click on the edit tab under the section heading and start typing. An allusion is an incidental reference made to a character, person, event or other miscellaneous piece of media that can be found somewhere in the episode itself. In most cases, this refers to characters or events from previous episodes.
- Molly's Robin disguise may have been a little too accurate in terms of detail. Unless there is more to Molly than what the viewer has been told, the costume should probably not include the bat-bulge.
- Batman drives like a damn maniac! For someone who is always lecturing Robin about buckling up and safety-first, he doesn't seem to heed his own advice. In the scene where the Riddler and the disguised Molly are watching him through binoculars, Batman is driving the Batmobile down the center line of a winding two-lane highway, and swerving between both lanes.
- The Riddler: I must say, this youth's face makes an excellent impression.
- Molly: You sure are a card, Riddler.
- The Riddler: Yes, my pretty. In this little game, I'm the Ace of Trumps.
- Robin: Don't fall for it, Batman. It sounds too easy! I'll get myself out of this the same way I got in it!
- The Riddler: Did you hear about Greta Garbo? She dreamed one night she sprinkled 6 boxes of grass seed in her hair and woke up moaning: "I vant to be a lawn!"
- Batman: If this gas ignites, it'll blow you to Kingdom Come, you venal viper!
- Batman: The joke's on you, Riddler!
- Robin: When is a donkey spelled with one letter?! When it's "U"!
- Molly: What?! You mean you saw through my disguise?
- Batman: A criminal always makes one mistake, Molly. Those straws you gave Robin to breathe through? I spotted the defect in the mask instantly. That was the one hole in your plan.
- Molly: Well, there are going to be some holes in you, Batman! (tries to fire gun, but it doesn't work).
- Batman: Foolish girl. You were so bent on your murderous scheme you failed to notice... in the Batmobile, I burned off your revolver's firing pin with a hidden bat-laser beam.
- Batman: Poor deluded girl. If only she had let me save her. What a terrible way to go-go.
See also Edit
External Links Edit
- ↑ Credited, but does not appear in this episode.