|Series:||American Horror Story|
|First:||Edward Mordrake (Part 1)"|
Maggie Esmerelda is a fictional con artist and a recurring character featured on the FOX Network television series American Horror Story. Played by actress Emma Roberts, she was featured in season four of the show, which was billed under the subheading of "Freak Show". The character was credited in all thirteen episodes from the season, but actually only made ten appearances on the show. The character was introduced in episode 4x03, "Edward Mordrake (Part 1)".
Maggie Esmerelda was an amateur con artist who partnered herself with a man named Stanley in the early 1950s. She assisted Stanley in infiltrating Fräulein Elsa's Cabinet of Curiosities in Jupiter, Florida and helped him to procure the bodies of freaks, which they would then sell to the American Morbidity Museum.
During her time with the Freak Show, she became romantically involved with Jimmy Darling, and was present with Jimmy when Twisty the Clown and a psychopath named Dandy Mott began terrorizing people. Maggie eventually had a crisis of conscience and turned against Stanley, revealing the duo's true motives to a performer named Desiree Dupree. Maggie was brutally killed when the show's new owner, Chester Creb, forced her to perform in a magic trick wherein he actually sawed her in half on stage.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- The character of Maggie Esmerelda was created by director Michael Uppendahl and writer James Wong, based on concepts developed by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk.
- Maggie Esmerelda is the second character on American Horror Story portrayed by Emma Roberts. She also had a recurring role in season three, "Coven", where she played an arrogant neophyte witch named Madison Montgomery.
- Emma Roberts would go on to star in another Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk project - the 2015 horror/comedy series Scream Queens, where she would take on the role of the series' primary antagonist, Chanel Oberlin.
- Emma Roberts is also known for playing Jill Roberts in Scream 4 in 2011, and Casey Mathis in the 2013 comedy We're the Millers.
- Arguably, Maggie Esmerelda has the most visually gruesome death scene out of any character on the series to date.