|Rescue from Gilligan's Island|
|Title:||Rescue from Gilligan's Island|
|Director:||Leslie H. Martinson|
|Writers:||Sherwood Schwartz; Elroy Schwartz; Al Schwartz; David Harmon|
|Producers:||Lloyd J. Schwartz; Sherwood Schwartz; Valton Lee Taylor|
|Cast:||Bob Denver; Alan Hale, Jr.; Jim Backus; Natalie Schafer; Judith Baldwin; Russell Johnson; Dawn Wells|
|Airdate:||October 14th, 1978 (1)|
October 21st, 1978 (2)
|Running time:||95 min.|
Rescue from Gilligan's Island is an American television movie and a spin-off of the 1964-1967 CBS sitcom series Gilligan's Island. The film produced by Sherwood Schwartz' company, Sherwood Schwartz Productions, and Redwood Productions. It was directed by Leslie H. Martinson with a script written by Sherwood Schwartz, Elroy Schwartz, Al Schwartz and David Harmon. It premiered on NBC on October 14th, 1978.
The film brings back most of the original series cast members including Bob Denver as Gilligan, Alan Hale, Jr. as the Skipper, Jim Backus as Thurston Howell III, Natalie Schafer as Lovey Wentworth Howell, Russell Johnson as the Professor, and Dawn Wells as Mary Ann Summers. The role of Ginger, originally played by Tina Louise, is played by Judith Baldwin in this film.
Notes & Trivia Edit
- This is the first of three live-action television movies that are spin-offs of Gilligan's Island. The series was created by Sherwood Schwartz and aired on CBS from 1964-1967.
- There are a total of thirty-four credited cast members in this film.
- The events of this film take place fifteen years after the beginning of the original series.
- This film reveals the actual full names of all of the main characters, with the exception of Gilligan, whose first name is deliberately obscured by the sounds of a bullhorn. Prior to this, the only character whose name was ever fully established was Thurston Howell, III. The characters actual names are revealed as:
- The Skipper - Jonas Grumby
- The Professor - Roy Hinkley, Jr.
- Mrs. Howell - Lovey Wentworth Howell
- Ginger - Ginger Grant
- Mary Ann - Mary Ann Summers
- Tina Louise, who played Ginger Grant on the original series, opted out of reprising the role for the television movies. She had expressed concerns about being typecast, and felt that future Gilligan projects would not be helpful for her career. However, she did keep in touch with the other cast members, though it has been said that she had a strained relationship with Bob Denver.
See also Edit
External Links Edit
- Rescue from Gilligan's Island at Wikipedia
- Rescue from Gilligan's Island at the Gilligan's Island Wiki