|Zoot Suit Riot"|
|Single by Cherry Poppin' Daddies|
|from the album Zoot Suit Riot: The Swingin' Hits of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies|
|Cherry Poppin' Daddies singles chronology|
Zoot Suit Riot" is a song by the American ska-swing band the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, written by vocalist and frontman Steve Perry for the band's 1997 compilation album of the same name on Mojo Records.
First issued as a single in October 1997, "Zoot Suit Riot" slowly gained radio momentum with the commercial growth of the late 1990s swing revival before ultimately hitting its peak in the summer of 1998, reaching #41 on Billboard 's Hot 100 and #15 on the Modern Rock chart, while a surrealist music video became one of MTV's most played of the year, earning the Daddies a nomination for "Best New Artist in a Video" at the 1998 MTV Video Music Awards.
To date, "Zoot Suit Riot" remains the only single of the Daddies' career to place on the Billboard charts.
- "Weird Al" Yankovic parodied the song as "Grapefruit Diet" on his 1999 album Running with Scissors. Perry stated in an interview that he felt "honored" to have been parodied, though didn't quite understand "why Weird Al is such an icon".
- "Zoot Suit Riot" was featured on two episodes of the competitive dancing series So You Think You Can Dance in 2006 and 2007, included under the quickstep and jive dance styles, respectively.
- The song appears in the films Urban Legend and Simon Says.
- The song is part of a continuous song loop during pre-show entertainment at the Jordan's Furniture IMAX Theater in Natick, Massachusetts. This has actually become a running joke among theater attendees about how the song is still played throughout the years, despite almost everything else about the theater changing such as seats, sound system, and company owners.
- In 1999, bandleader and trumpeter Ray Anthony, who had been active during the original swing era and a one-time member of the Glenn Miller Orchestra, recorded a cover of "Zoot Suit Riot" on his album Swing Club, featuring Patrick Tuzzolino on vocals.
|Zoot Suit Riot: The Swingin' Hits of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies|
|Compilation album by Cherry Poppin' Daddies|
|Released||March 18, 1997
July 1, 1997 (Mojo re-issue)
|Recorded||1989–1997 at Gung Ho Studios in Eugene, Oregon|
|Label||Space Age Bachelor Pad Records|
Next Generation Swing
Has the Chill Pill Dancers's Version Of Zoot Suit Riot
- Sorry, this item is not available in
- Image not available